"…and not for five minutes will I be distracted from the wonder…"

What’s 1, 3 and 5 Miles Away From Me?

Bit by Bit — d-ashes on April 13, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Last year Mark Martin over at Baton Rouge Advocate for Safe Streets asked me to do a quick GoogleMaps mashup that would allow people to easily visualize how close a lot of the places they travel are to them. It didn’t take long to do, but then it’s languished on my development server since.  So with the idea that those 3 beers I had this afternoon whilst Mark asked if I still had the code actually did some good to the world other than my immediate enjoyment of them, find the link to my 1, 3, 5 Mile Radii Mapper (it really needs a better name; suggestions welcome). Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions about it.

1, 3, 5 Mile Radii Mapper

135radiimapper

6 Comments »

1. pretty cool. I always thought the dern grocery store was further away from my house than it really is.

Comment by Patrick — April 14, 2009 @ 10:27 am
  2. wow, it makes BTR seem so small!

Comment by Jamie — April 14, 2009 @ 10:32 am
  3. Makes you wish for some pedestrian and bike friendly streets in Baton Rouge. We can all dream, can’t we?

Comment by Brian — April 20, 2009 @ 1:44 pm
  4. Yeah, there are so many things in that 3 mile circle from my house, but damn if it’s not 3 miles filled with the high potential of death.

Comment by d-ashes — April 20, 2009 @ 2:46 pm
  5. very nice. It would be cool to search locations rather than just scrolling, for us non BTR folk.

Comment by Roy — March 2, 2010 @ 11:47 am
  6. Roy:

That is a very necessary piece of functionality. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at this. I’ll get back around to it and get that in. Thanks for the input.

I need to see if the Jackson Bike Advocates site up there has any interest in hosting a copy.

Comment by d-ashes — March 2, 2010 @ 11:50 am